WELCOME to my blog.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Our 2nd Trip to Ruby's Resort, Cherating

Our holiday to Ruby's Resort in Cherating during the Raya super long weekend holiday started at 3am on Sat (19/9) cause we decided to meet up with few other friends at the Gombak Toll at 4am and convoy together gether there. Since we have to leave the house latest by 3:30am, my other half decided that we shall skipped the sleeping part. We even went downtown had a great time salsa-ing away and met Alina & Mike coincidentally. Got home only at about 1:30am, showered and did some last minute packing.

By 3am, we are all set and ready to go. Even Rumba & Sunshine knows they will be coming along with us this time round as they were getting all excited & restless running around, grumbling impatiently. Can't wait to be allowed to hop onto the car.

We finally left our house at 4am. Half an hour delayed cause another friend who were suppose to tumpang their bag with us came late. When we finally arrived at Gombak toll, we had a shock of the traffic that greeted us. It was crazy. At 4am+, it was already bumper to bumper jammed. Total madhouse.

Due to heavy traffic in Gombak, we decided to meet up in Bentong toll instead. But when we finally crawled to Bentong, it was equally packed. There was no available space for us to stopover. In the end, all of us went our own separate ways. We were caught in the traffic for a good 2 hours. No way I am going to travel at that hour of the day again on holidays like this one. Might as well start at normal hours at least can get some decent sleep. Whichever way also will get caught in bad traffic. Betul?

Traffic only started to ease up fully after Temerloh. The breaking of dawn on this stretch of road was really beautiful. Most part of the road was covered with thick layer of morning mist. Visibility still very good la... so don't worry about not being able to see. Just that the mist added on a different feelings to the overall atmosphere. Somewhat magical/wintery of sort. A good experience. We finally got to Ruby's Resort at 8am, a total of 4hours drive which would usually take only about 2hours+.
Aunty Ruby herself came to welcome us. But I was too tired. Told her something about I need my sleep now... blah blah blah... lols. I can imagine how horrid I must have look without any proper sleep the night before - opened pores skin, panda eye, pale face & etc...lols... Therefore, cannot let anybody see me yet. Not until I am well-rested. Lols. Yeah, vain pot. Lols... So we somehow got all our luggages + the 2 dogs into our room miraculously, set up our room cozily before we hit the bed and slept for the next 4 hours. In between, someone knocked on our door saying something about lunch and I just blabbered something about giving it a pass.

When we finally woke up at 2pm+. We were famished. The first food that came to our mind were of course Tong Juan's stuff crab. We quickly changed and headed out to Kemaman town for it.
This is how Tong Juan looked like. From Cherating, go all the way straight till you come to a cross junction with a circular LED board on your right. Turn right at the cross junction. Then go all the way straight till you see a single four storey, white colour building with a signboard that say "Hai Peng", diagonally on your right. Turn right there and go all straight. Tong Juan is approximately 200m from there. Understand arr? Aiyah... wont get lost one la... only one road in Kemaman. Lols.

We were so hungry that we ordered 4 stuffed crabs, 4 bbq prawns and one big plate of fried rice with crab meat. Of course it ended up being too much for us. We were struggling to finish them.

Me, attacking my first stuffed crab of the day. Check out the crowd behind me. The restaurant is always packed. 24/7. We were lucky there was an available table when we were there the that day. No need to wait until the cows come home. Btw, there is this weird thing about me. I hate having to queue for tables. I rather dont eat. :p


You can see all the crab meat together with eggs + taugeh (I think), being stuffed into the crab shell and fried with a batter. Harrison said it was baked. Whatever la.. baked ke, fried ke, apa-apa la... I dont know. I only know how to eat. :p Anyway, I've blogged about this place before. It was November 2008 if not mistaken. You can check out that one too if you want to.

We got back after lunch, took Rumba & Sunshine to the beach for a swim. No photos. Sorry. Dont ask why, I also dunno. Maybe malas kua... Sunshine got into the water pretty fast. Rumba on the other hand refused to even step in the water initially. But after a while, a pretty long while in fact, after she had observed enough, she actually swam!!! What a natural! It was hillarious when we noticed how her legs would still continue to pedal when we lifted her out of the water. Harrison & I finds it so comical that we laughed so hard... I laughed till I cried...lols

Sunshine only mastered the skill on the second day we brought them to the beach. Even so, it was because she was forced to. My other half simply carried her out to the deeper end and she automatically swam her way back to shore. What a clever dog!
This poor chicken which Aunty Ruby fondly called 'Brownie' was chased up the tree by 'Ben', the Shitzu in lampshade. Lols. His mommy said the 'shade' is to prevent him licking/scratching himself. Something like that la. I, for one, am definately not used to seeing such sights. Nevertheless, it they are ok, why should I be complaining. It is not me who is wearing it. :p

Over here, it was 'Duchess' the schnauzer that is chasing after 'Brownie'. I tell you arr, this chicken arr.. also one kind one. So many dogs chasing him/her arr, he/she still wanna lepak around the area. Like mengada-ngada like that la... fatt hau....

Later that evening, Aunty Ruby arranged for someone from the 'Turtle Sanctuary' next door to bring over some baby turtle for us to release back into the sea. We gathered by the beach for that at 6pm.
The cutesy little turtles in styrofoam box. "Pick me! Pick me!". RM10 per turtle. All proceeds will channel back to the sanctuary for their various 'save a turtle' program.

That will be mine. "Remember to say hello when you see me diving next time turtle!"

"Run! Run! Run for your life... into the big ocean... into the awaiting jaws of the sharks...(opst)!"


And this loser here belongs to Harrison. It dashed into the sand instead and had it's head covered in sand the moment we released it... lols. But still, it made it into the sea in the end. hehehehe...

After the super tiring 'turtle releasing' activities which lasted for just 10minutes, our friend decided to rest on this huge hammock... hehehe.... like very comfy like that hor??? But I dont really like it cause I find it pretty rough on my skin. Thin skin people like me cannot survive it. Only thick skin people can sleep on it comfortably. :p

Since I can't lepak on the hammock and my other half is too busy to entertain me, I went to make friends with these two fellas. Meet 'Geesey' & 'Goosey". Lols... Geesy, the while colour one, is a male goose. Goosy, the grey one, is a female. Seriously, that's not their names. I simply made it up. Chicken also can called 'Brownie', what more goose??? Sure got name right? Lols...
We had bbq dinner that night under the tree house. Aunty Ruby even set up a camp fire for us to main-main. We had sotong, lamb, prawns, fried rice, salad, frankfurters and chicken wings. We had a great time eating & yakking away and the same time, feeding mosquitoes too. Yeah, lots of them. Happily sucking my blood dry. Luckily Jo let me use her mossy repellent. Otherwise arr... sure kena bitten like 'ham chien piang' like that...

We even climbed up to the tree house to look see look see too. I tell you, it is so comfy and cozy up there. Very very nice. Was later told that one of the family with children, from our group, had successfully pestered Aunty Ruby to rent the tree house to them on their second night there. Lols. Which kid wouldnt like to live on one??? I definately wont mind.

The staff list of Ruby's Resort written on one of the walls of the tree house. Stout - a black labrador who is in-charged of the resort's security. Furby, Tiger, Dino, Kitty, Ginger - are the cats that in-charged of pests control. I am sure her rabbits names are all there too. Their duties are probably to increase the population in the resort I think...lols...hehehehe......
Overall, it was a fun trip back to Ruby's Resort. It is always nice to be there. How to explain? Hmm... it felt just like going home. The atmosphere there is very easy going which can't be find in most 5 stars hotels/resorts. The staff are friendly. Aunty Ruby is always obnoxiously funny. A very good concoction of beautiful clean beach + cozy settings + warm people = perfect relaxing holiday. Very nice indeed! Can't wait for our next trip there.....Aww... I sure gonna miss that obnoxious woman!

3 comments:

Gerry said...

What happened to the cat?

Me Ames said...

hi, I came across your blog when googling on Ruby's Resort. Interesting and informative post you have there. I am planning a trip there in Mac with my parents, siblings and 2 dogs (an aging spitz and a naughty 3yr old siberian husky). Hopefully Ruby will reply my enquiry soon and that pets are allowed on my preferred dates :) Oh one more thing, I noticed you dance salsa too, where do u normally dance? I go to Qba sometimes, but there are more salsa clubs nowadays. I learned for a year but have not been out dancing for more than a year now. Feel karat, lol :p You're from south, that explains the use of malay words in your post. I do that too, I'm from Melaka. Btw, I'm a 33 yr old Chinese Female, living in Subang 2 and working in SS2 :) last but not least, saw your latest post on bathing your dogs; lol they can be very handful at times but aren't they just so lovely? :))

Redbabe said...

Me Ames,

First of all, a warm welcome to you for dropping by :) and am glad that you will be planning a trip to Ruby's Resort too. Believe, it is a really simply place. Yet, it felt right at home :) Took a 3rd and 4th trip too after this entry. Lols. It's addictive. You can check out the entry in Feb 2010 and Aug 2010. :) Ruby is a very 'charming' host. I am sure our parents, siblings and 2 doggies will fall instantly in love with her! ;)

Yes, i does lot of salsa. I simply love it. Won't karat one la... I stopped for 7 years, and now still ok one. lols... and you only had stopped for a year. Do come and join us if you have itchy feet. Here are the list of salsa joints these days:-

Wednesday - Aaliyah (Damansara Height)
Thursday - Qba (Westin) & LaBomba (Starhill)
Friday - Paradize (right opposite Wisma Genting, KL)
Saturday - Modestor (Capital Square)
Sun - Shiv (Bangsar)

I am usually at Modesto and once in a blue moon, Paradize. If you keen n need company, drop me an email ;) gladyslcp@hotmail.com