WELCOME to my blog.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Happy Chinese New Year People!

A decorative lion.

Remember that day which I didn't made it to Aquaria?  Well, as mentioned earlier, I hanged out with a good friend instead.  From KLCC to Petaling Street (for a particular special brand of 'sweet meat' my in-laws fancy), from Petaling Street to MidValley.
It was at MidValley that I took all these photos.  At least my day was not wasted.  Still managed to capture something worthwhile.  But then again, on second thoughts, it won't be that wasted also since I have great company entertaining me throughout.  Lols...
They had little stalls set up in the main concourse of the mall selling/exhibiting many different crafts, goodies, cookies, candies which can only be found during the Chinese festive season.
This lion head is so clean and fluffed up unlike those we usually sees at shop openings, business launching, house warming, Chinese New Year & etc.  And I really love the blue too!


Note from Wiki:
During CNY, lion dance troupes from the Chinese Associations (martial art & etc) will visit houses & shops to perform the traditional custom of 'chai ching' (採青 - plucking the greens literally). It is actually a quest by the 'lion' to pluck the auspicious green (usually lettuce cause in chinese words, it is pronounced at 'sheng chai'生菜, which also sounded like 'grow fortune') which are hung up in a high place together with a red packet containing money (hong bao).  What happen is, the 'lion' would dance and approach it like a curious cat, supposely "eat" the green and then "spit" it out in a nicely arranged auspicious character.  As for the red packet, the troupe get to keep it as a reward!  All this drama is to bring good luck and fortune to the business or households.  :)  Interesting huh?
A 'chinese wooden hand drum toy' for children.  Just spin the handle back & forth, the little beads that are tied to it will hit the drum skin making dum dum dum sound!
A granny sharing her stories of the 'hand drum' with a young girl manning the stall.  I like pictures like these. It would have been better if I've caught the facial expression of the granny.  Well, there is always another time.  
These dough figurines are also one of the many folk art of the Chinese which has a history of  more than 2000 years.  Of course the characters in this photo is somewhat UNIQUE in this era of 2011.  A long long time ago, the art is much much more commendable.  :p  They don't make 'Mario', 'chinese ghost' or 'pile of shit' as the photo above... hahaha...  Those days, they make little figurines of famous Chinese heroes & warriors out of few coloured pieces of dough within minutes!  I remember mom mentioned before that during her childhood, she will be able to find these 'lively' looking dough figurines for sale outside temples which has chinese opera shows going on.  I remember having one myself too.  Can't remember the character though.  All I know is, I found it eaten up by insects years later. :p
Typical Chinese New Year goodies year after year.  Sugar coated dried coconuts, preserved plums, gingers and etc. 
The more modern days goodies.  Fried ngaku (arrowheads), fried lin ngau (lotus root), green peas cookies, peanut cookies, love letters and etc.
These have nothing to do with the festive season.  But it was my childhood.  The junkfood from my era.  Lols.  I remembered 'Ding Dang' used to cost RM0.50 and that was considered really expensive ok.  Inside the box, we'll find a pack of cheap chocolate and a small toy!  Usually we will just tossed out the chocolates.  We only wanted the toys!  Hahaha...
And here, is a very distinctive visual art of Chinese handicrafs known as the 'Paper Cutting', originated in the 6th century which are used during festivals as decoration.  A long long time ago, they are cut out of paper with scissors and engraving knife and requires remarkable skills.  These days, I believe they are just cut out of moulded machine.  Still nice nevertheless.  Just lack that special something.  If you know what I mean.
  
 That's more or less what I captured on that day.  Hope you enjoyed a little of our culture in my words (of course Wiki's too).  Anyway, for those of you travelling home, have a safe trip!  Don't over indulged on those goodies, drink more water ya!  Here wishing all of you out there who are celebrating Chinese New Year,

'Shen Ti Jian Kang 身体健康'  (Good health)
and 
'Wan Shi Ru Yi 万事如意'! (Everything follow your wishes)



4 comments:

mun said...

Redbabe, gong xi fa cai and xin nian kuai le to you and your family! I like your photos of the various lion heads!

Alina Grace said...

I love all the pictures. You take absolutely GREAT pix!!!

Redbabe said...

Thanks girls for the kind words :)

What I Did Today said...

Happy Chinese New Year to you! The pictures are awesome. Everything looks so vibrant and fun!