WELCOME to my blog.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Fried Rice (with corns)

In lieu of all the money spent on shopping for Chinese New Year, a gf of mine, Florence, who was here last Wed to learn how to apply fake lashes, suggested that we have fried rice for dinner instead (save $$) and she will bring over the can of luncheon meat which she wanted to eat very much yet not able to cook them cause she is not allowed to do any 'heavy' cooking in the kitchen of her landlord.  Lols...
Coincidentally, I have some leftover rice in the fridge and so, we had fried rice, with a twist - the corns.  :)  Those corns were also from her which she bought from Cameron Highlands over the past weekend.  I totally forgotten about it until I opened the fridge for the rice.  :p Cleaned it up and tossed them into the rice cooker steamer while I cooked a little extra rice.  

Ingredients
Some cooked rice (qty depends on your requirement)
Mixed beans
Onions (because I've them in my kitchen)
Few eggs beaten (add dash of salt & pepper to taste)
Soy sauce (quantity to taste)
Luncheon meat cut to mini cubes

Methods
1) Heat a little oil in wok.  Pour in beaten egg and turn the wok to spread.  Cook until firm underneath, then break it up (like scramble eggs like that).  Remove from wok and set aside.
2) Add a little oil to earlier wok.  Saute onion till fragrant.  Add luncheon meat & mixed beans.  Stir fry till cooked.  Remove from wok and set aside.
3) Heat a little oil in wok and toss the rice over high heat for about 2 minutes.
4) Mix in all the cooked ingredients ('scrambled' eggs & luncheon meat) and sprinkle with soy sauce.  Continue tossing over high heat for few minutes.  Ready to serve. :)

On the side, I fried extra eggs (hor pau dan = purse egg) to spread on top of the fried rice so that it look more presentable... :p  Yes, presentation is important in my kitchen.  Lols...  As for the corn, had it rolled in butter and sprinkled with a little salt before serving.  Another satisfying simple dinner!

Tips: Besides luncheon meat, you can use Chinese Sausages or Charsiew (BBQ pork) or shrimps or chicken.  In fact, anything at all.  I would usually just cook with what I can find in the kitchen.  Treat it as clearing out all the food stock :p
And yes, we managed the lashes too with full make up.  Hahaha... And now, she says she wanna attempt the lashes and make-up for work next day.  I hope her colleagues wouldn't think it's Halloween. Hahahaha....

3 comments:

mun said...

Good heavy duty eye makeup - suitable to go clubbing.

Redbabe said...

Thanks Mun. Suitable for dinner events too :)

What I Did Today said...

Man! I love making fried rice with leftovers! I miss it. Used to do that all the time, until I found out my oldest is allergic to soy. bummer! The false lashes are pretty on those eyes! Good job