WELCOME to my blog.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day 1 In The Land Beneath The Wind - Sabah

Why is Sabah known as 'The Land Beneath The Wind'? Apparently it was derived from it's relatively gentle climate as a result of it's ideal location right out of all possible typhoons path. That's why. To think of it, how appropriate. The nearby countries, Philippine, Indonesia & etc were not so lucky.
***
Sometime ago, when AirAsia opened up their 'zero fare' tickets for sale, having nothing else better to do, I itchy backside went into their site to check if the fares were really ZERO. I never really believe them. Always thought it was just one of those marketing gimmicks. To my amazement, they aren't gimmicks at all. They really do offer ZERO fares. Zero zero fare. No fuel surcharge or any other lap sap charges except for airport tax. With that revelation, I accidentally got carried away and the rest are history. One of the many bookings was that trip we took to Kota Kinabalu, Sabah one week back.
***
It was our maiden trip to that mystical land. Both for me & mom. 'Suaku' hor? For me, it was still alright la... but for mom, travelled all over the world but not her own home country... what an embarassment... time to plop up the pillow to ponder... lols.


That morning of our departure, we had light breakfasts at this Buy & Fly cafe while waiting to be boarded. The light breakfast consists of 2 mug of coffees, 2 yucky lor mai kai and 3 pieces of siew mai which we didnt finish and which cost a whopping RM35++. Goodness. So guys, please dont eat there if you ever in LCCT's domestic departure hall.
It was a pleasant flight there. My ear pressure were alright too. I got problematic ear which sometime refused to equalise. Maybe the chlorine. :p Anyway, throughout the 2hours 30minutes on air, mom filled me in with all the latest family gossips - who have constipation... who doesnt get along with who... who lousai... hahaha.... Nolar, I am just exaggerating. :p We just filled each other in with our own happenings. Lols.... too lazy to talk about yee ma ku che stories... talk until 2012 also wont finish... lols... better save breath.
At one point, mom tried to complete this Sudoku in the inflight magazine. I tried not to look at it. But seeing the way she attempted it arr, I really cannot tahan lor. You see, I love Sudoku puzzles. Whenever I bought a Sudoku book, I'll complete the Intermediate & Expert level before passing her the book to practise on the 'Beginner' level. Till now, she is still at Beginner level. So I mah cannot tahan and pointed out some ways for her lor. Now she cleverer already. Can complete some Intermediate ones even... hehehe

Saw the beautiful island off Kota Kinabalu? This picture is taken when the plane was getting ready to land.


Touched down at about 12noon and immediately checked ourselves into the Imperial International Hotel smacked right in the middle of Warisan Square. The most convenient hotel in KK. It is practically surrounded on all sides with shopping malls - restaurants, shops, massages and etc... All within walking distance.
***
Picture above show the view taken from our room. There is a story behind this room with a view. The first room that was given to us does not have a view at all. It's window opens up to the inside of the hotel. Mom said she felt like she is in jail. Lols... she is dramatic like that sometimes. For me, just as long as my mom is happy. So I called up the front desk and requested for a room with a view. Sea view preferably.
***
Mr Frontdesk: Seaview cost RM270 a nite
Me: *whiny mode* No... I dont wanna pay extra RM70.... :( Anything with a view that dont cost so much??? Our room already so expensive...:(((
Mr Frontdesk : Hmm.. what about city view?
Me: *hesitated for awhile* Hmm... no sea view at all? (Mom in the background mumbling something about can see a bit also never mind...lols)
Mr Frontdesk: What about partial sea view? You see a bit of sea, a bit of city.....
Me: Oh... nice. Better. Ok. We want that.
Mr Frontdesk: That one cost RM240.00.
Me: Huh??? No.... I don't wanna pay extra RM40... :(
Mr Frontdesk: *very amused* ok... we have one that is RM210, can see a bit of sea. Can?
Me: Ok, we'll take that.
Mr Frontdesk: Alright, can you proceed down to the reception to change it?
Me: Ok. But please ping them on the happenings. I dont wanna repeat my whining... :p
Mr Frontdesk: haha... ok ok...
***
10 minutes later, at the reception counter. True enough, I have to repeat the whole damn story. Again, in whiny mode. The receptionists kept insisting that they do not have any rooms under the rate of RM210 that can see even a tiny bit of the sea. I told them..... "Nevermind. Just give me your room that has the best view under the RM210 category...". Mom laughed... the receptionists laughed too. Apparently they find it comical. Lols... Anyway, we eventually got our apparently 'little bit' of sea view room. That was definately more than little bit right?... Hehehe... with that, our holiday begins!
After freshen up a little, we went out looking for lunch. Walked around the older shoplots and came across some interesting 'Billiard Saloon' like this one here packed with people. Mom said it look very much like those from her younger days. I've never seen this kind before. We later found out that apparently, this place that we walked about so freely on our first day here were actually a notorious place frequented mostly by Filipinos. :p Locals usually avoided it. :p Geng le this mother & daughter....hahaha..

After surveying around for awhile, we finally settled down in one of the coffee shop for lunch. Mom had egg kuey teow..

and me, seafood noodle. Both were really yummy. I love plain noodle soup like this. We enjoyed our lunch very much. I think we were both really hungry.
Went shopping after lunch. Mom wanted to get swimsuits. Me camwhoring while waiting for her in the fitting room. One thing I notice then was, I realised that whenever I travels with her, I always somehow ended up looking like a Christmas tree. Other than my own handbag and camera to carry, I always ended up carrying her's too and on top of that, my hands are always full with her stuff. The stuff she wanna try on, the stuff she wanna buy, the stuff she bought and so forth. It makes me look like a Christmas tree with lots of ornaments like that hanging on with so many things. Really one... this is consider mild already..

Then she wanted to buy a nice cap. I picked this out for her cause she always complained that the sun is very hot la... and that she dont look good in photos anymore la... So this cap will be suit her best. She would not need to worry about the sun and she will surely look great in photos too...! lols.... If not because of the pricey tag, she would have gotten it!
This one here taken in the fitting room. I got bored waiting for mom trying on clothes. I think we look great in this one! Love my hat!
***
Spent many hours shopping that day. It was incredible. Good shoe memang good shoe. Can walk for hours also not tired one... hehehe... We dumped our loots back in the hotel hours later before heading out again for massage. Ahh... what a life! The massage was fantastically good. By far, the best I've had and it only cost RM55 which include 1 hour of body massage and half hour of foot reflexiology. Cheap or what???

After massage, all oily, we headed down to the 'umbrella' place where we can see from our room. It was really happening there. Rows and rows of stall selling a variety of vegetables/fruits/fishes/other sea products. It was really eye opening.

Fresh seaweeds. According to the makcik, she said eat like ulam like that wor... I should've tried. I didnt know why I didnt. So out of character of me. Must be still stoned from the massage. Sot already... lols...
There were also rows and rows of stalls selling grilled seafood. We settled in one and ordered our dinner - a small 7star garoupa, some prawns & squids. Considered very luxurious already by the standard there. As we looked around, most people just ordered a fish. Pai sey... pai sey... we were so greedy.
Though look plain & dry, it was really really really delicious. The meat were so fresh and sweet and when dipped in their sambal, it was shiokalingam muthusamy. Am already salivating just by thinking about it... sigh... awww... I wanna eat!! This dinner we had cost only RM30+.
Each row of these tables belongs to different stalls. At one end of the row, they will displayed the grilled food. On the other end, there will be a bbq pit. After ordering what you want in front, the makcik will bring them to the back to be heated over the grill again.

A picture of mom, replaying the wonderful day 1 she had had in her mind, while awaiting for the dinner to be served.
After dinner, we took a walk over at the wet market side and mind you, the fishes there are super cheap & huge. Saw a makcik bargaining for a 1.5 feet long ikan tongkol. The fishmonger asked for RM6. She wants it for RM5. Crazily cheap right?
The biggest one here on far right are tuna. Definately cant find this kind of fish or size in this part of Malaysia that we are in. Sigh..
From the market, we walked along towards the Esplanade. There were some kind of cultural dance going on in one of the fancy restaurants there. We hurried over and managed to snap some pictures to qualify that we have seen the cultural dances of the Land Beneath The Wind... hahahahaha... short cut way. All cultural dances looks the same. Seen one, seen all. No need to sit thru another. :p
The weather was pretty hot that evening. Before going back to the hotel, we went for some gelato to cool down a little but were over cooled instead. Was sitting right in front of the aircond blower which sent our temperature straight down...lols....
Went out to meet this salsa friend of mine later that night for a drink who was coincidentally in KK with his family while we were there. Apparently, according to his cousin sister who works in KK, the market where mom & I went to earlier for jalan jalan and makan was the most notorious place in town. Lots of snatch thieves. Pirates. Kidnapping cases. Lols... And apparently, it was not safe to walk around with kick ass huge camera hanging around the neck...:p hehehehehe.... that's why he didnt bring his (he is also a photography enthusiast). But after I show him the photos I took at the market, he so mm kam yuen and wanna go there to look see also... hahahahaha... I told him to not worry. I'll protect him. I can scream. hahahahahahaha....
Went back after awhile. On way back, saw this latin dance club called 'Rumba'. Spelt exactly like my Rumba at home. ;) With that, I end our interesting Day 1 In The Land Beneath The Wind!


5 comments:

"ME N MY MILLION DOLLAR" said...

I already had great fun the frist day we landed on this Land Beneath The Wind, hahaha

mun said...

You look like Brigitte Lin Ching Hsia in your solo photo (first from top). You are so geng in your whiny mode, can get a room with such a nice view for only RM10 extra. :)

Redbabe said...

Million Dollar: Yeah... I had lots of fun too on the first day!

Mun: Oh? I used to think my mom look like Lin Ching Hsia when she is younger...lols. I take it as a compliments. Thank you. As for the room, I think the Receptionists cant figure out the differences between a bit of sea and seaview la... :p

Cammie said...

hey, looking for your subsequent days post in Sabah. Enjoy your trip yeah!

Redbabe said...

Hey KamYean.... havent found time to resize photos yet..lols. Dont worry. Will come out soon. Thanks for dropping by!