WELCOME to my blog.

Friday, December 26, 2008

My Wonderful Career

I only worked 2 days a week; Wednesday & Friday, a permanent part time job. Even on these two days, I find it extreme difficult to get to work. Though work starts at 9am, officially, somehow, I always ended up late for work. My version of 'on-time' would be anytime before 10am. If ever I am early, it would be before 9:30am. Terrible worker huh? lols...
*
I am not usually like this. Everyone who knows me knows that I used to work very hard when I was employed full time. I would get to office before 9am and leave after 6:30pm (earliest). Most of the time, I even worked thru public holidays. And when my parents were in town, they would have to be on their own most of the time cause I do not have the time to bring them around. Everyday there are important super urgent things to look into that cannot wait any longer. Leaves will be accummulated which will eventually be burnt cause there was never a 'free' time to take off.
*
My previous job of 8 years requires me to travel out-station quite extensively to wherever we have an on-going project. I started off as Secretary and promoted to Sales Coordinator later and subsequently a Sales Manager before i quit. Being a small 'chinaman' company, besides working my ass off compiling piles and piles of proposal for stupid people and bringing in businesses, I am also the one that handled whatever that concerned the goverment departments as well as sourcing for financial support for our projects (I went to DBKL so often that as it if is my home then). The stupid reason was, I was familiar with the procedures and the people there knows me well. If you ever seen a headless chicken running around town couple of years ago, it was probably me. That is also part of the reason that I am Harrison's GPS Navigator. I practically knows all the roads in KL with my eyes closed. I know the roads better than my KL boy.
*
Eventually, I grow to hate my job. I hate the people I see, I hate the things I do, I hate the places that I need to go, hate my bosses, hate my colleagues... practically hate everything about it. I dreaded having to go work and tried very hard to find slightest motivation in the things that I do but ended up more stressed instead. I think it was the stress that triggered off my thyroid then. And I felt even more pissed at whatever I was doing.
*
After months of planning an online business (Springtime Favours) and with some support, I quit my job. My boss of 11 years was devastated. He knows my frustrations with the company on some issues and my stubborn-ness. My last day was 30th May 2008. (Anyway, after couple of months, my same boss offered me this permanent part time job).
*
I was apprehensive of my decision to quit initially. I was worried. Worried alone is an understated, super worried was more like it. I have loads of responsibilities sitting cozily on my shoulders (which don't seems to budge even an inch). Mortgages, electricity, water, broadband, mobile, maintenance & sinking fees, insurance, credit cards, astro, petrol.... the list just goes on. As I was chatting with Harrison yesterday, somehow, we don't know how, I survived the last 19 months gloriously eventhough I earn much lesser now compared to what I used to earn. 'Gloriously' meaning, I still enjoy little luxuries of life like mani & pedicures, massages, facials, gym at reknown outlets (which I quit in July due to shifting) and also many many yumcha sessions with my girlfriends. Strange huh..? Somehow when I was working fulltime, I never seems to be able to afford all these.... money just miraculously zapped to don't know where the moment the salary is in. I guess Santa must've been slipping money into my purse quietly all these while :) "Thank you Santa, I promised I will be good this year... so slip more money into my purse k.. lols"
*
Seriously, my online business is doing alright. It somehow managed to make enough money every month for the bills. Not too much nor little, just enough for the bills and once in awhile, when I fancied something, it will have couple of hundreds more, just enough for what I fancied. I told you, I am HIS favourite.. now now... dont get jealous children... hehehe (if HE up there didn't hear, I will give out very loud hints so that he down here will hear..lols).. one way or another, i'll get what I want, subtlely.
*
I am very glad with my current employment arrangement. 2 days a week and remaining 5 days, I can do whatever silly stuff I want. Roll on my humongous settee.... jump on my bed... read a book and have a cuppa tea or simply chased Husky around and irritate Rumba & Sunshine. And sometimes, bitching with girlfriends or crying away watching some silly TVB soap opera...lols...
*
I do sometimes felt left out and a little jealous when friends are doing so well and climbing so high up on the corporate ladders and me..., me..., still the same old me doing silly stuff. But it is just a spur of emotion which lasted probably about 5 minutes and only to evaporate into the thin air surrounded me. Afterall, I get to do all the silly stuff and them, all the boring stuff.. aww... poor working fella... my heart does goes out to you all... *grinning evilly*
*
Then, once in awhile, I would suddenly get so motivated to get a job and I would suddenly scanned thru all the classified pages. When I finally spotted a few potential employer and going to type my resume, I would then start to wonder if I do get the job, would they grant me leaves in next two months during my probation cause we will be going for a holiday then. Or I would think, if I get pregnant next year, I would probably be on MC most of the time and when the baby comes, I would probably wanna spend more time with he or she... then, what's the point of working now? I might as well enjoy my life now till the nerve wrecking little monsters arrived. Right? So, that's why I am still 'measuring the roads now' (jobless).
*
Anyway, enought of my crappy employment history... it's boxing day today (a day to open up presents, is it?). I only received two presents this year from two very good friends. Harrison asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I told him he can get me everything that are listed on my "wish list". But since we are kinda tight now, in the financial sector I mean (what are you thinking?), I told him that not to worry about getting me a present this year. I will write it down in my 'buku tiga lima' (IOU). He can make it up when situation gets better (with interest).
*
And, today is Friday, my working day. Having Christmas sandwiched in between Wednesday & Friday this year, I was again told by my boss when he called me at 11am just now, to go home if I've got nothing to do ('again' cause I went home early on Wed too). What a blissful job!
*
I am still here now at 1:19pm cause I initially decided to write a short entry on how wonderful I get to get off work early today. But unfortunately, an alien took over my body and blabbered 13 paragraphs. My goodness! I seriously gotta go! Home to do my silly stuff.
*
Happy Boxing Day. Tata...





Note: Cliparts are downloaded from www.illustrationsof.com. Just in case they sue me, free adverts for them here.

5 comments:

~ RaChel Lim ~ said...

How jeolous am i of knowing u work for 2 days in a week. Be siu lai lai ya... i wish too... SOmetimes i felt i'm so sat pai, always have feeling of getting retired in this age... hehe... I hate to work too, but have to do due to financial problem too (Need $$$ to buy something good for myself once in a while too) So, I wish i can win the jackpot or toto. Be a millionaire ya. Hope my dream may come true. Hehe!

Redbabe said...

not sat pai la... for god's sake, u blardy own a music school ok...

it is always good to have more $$$ so that you can splurged on yourself, buy stuff you like wihtout having to think twice and basically, just pampered yrself.

i am the sat pai one... but i chose to be la...lols

~ RaChel Lim ~ said...

This is wat i want ok... Life without worried! So hang fuk!

Redbabe said...

rachael, maybe we can make some arrangement... i jaga shop for u.. u enjoy yr hangfook life...

then, when we are bored already, we switched by again...

lols.. good ne?

~ RaChel Lim ~ said...

Haha.. GOod suggestion.. but i believed that u'll regret on handling my business... Lots complaints... After a month, u'll beg me to switch back.. n that time ur hair is in grey to white color, lots wrinkles... lol... n i will getting younger n younger :P