WELCOME to my blog.

Monday, November 23, 2009

A Tribute To Kindness @ Waikiki

Two Sundays ago (15/11/09), I was given an opportunity to cover the photography part of a charity event held in Waikiki - "Tribute To Kindness". It was an invitation from a friend's husband (a photographer) and it was a totally awesome experience.

In case you don't know, Waikiki is a pub in Kelab Syabas along Lorong Sultan, Petaling Jaya. If you know where the pioneer A&W is, the one opposite Amcorp Mall, you'll know where Kelab Syabas is. It is along the same road, just few doors away. The atmosphere in Waikiki is always pretty good. It is sort of an open air pub with a laid back attitude with waiters dressed in bermuda shorts and tie-dyed shirt. Very beach like. :)
Being still pretty much an infant in this field, I do not own much add-on equipment. An & Lee were kind enough to loan me their speed flash making the evening event shoots a breeze. Thank you my friends :) Without your speed flash, my photos would probably have turned out pitch black... lols... time to invest in one myself. Sigh..... hope the money tree behind the house grow faster. :p
There were live music performances by quite a number of bands from our very own backyard and they were really really good. I never knew such good bands existed in Malaysia and I've always thought only the Filipinos can play well. I am ashamed of myself *one tight slap over the face* Ok ok... from now on, I shall have more faith in barangan 'buatan Malaysia' (music bands included)! 1Malaysia! Yay!
(This is Vijay. He is sort of like a mascot in Waikiki. He performed there pretty regularly. I am always bad with faces. I only recognises him thru the hundreds of piercing on his ear - yeah, I over exaggerated a little.)
All the bands played really well that night. I was caught awestruck couple of times and totally forgotten of my purpose there. Luckily the taiko didn't catch me with my jaw dropped all the way down the floor drooling with saliva. Otherwise, sure no chance for future events already. :p *sob* *sob*

The "Tribute to Kindness" event was an event for the Waikikians to give back. It was a fundraising event held in conjunction with Waikiki's anniversary where all proceeds from that night will be forwarded to Kirtarsh Home and by end of the evening, they managed to raise a whopping RM20,000.00. Well done guys!
The highlight of the night were of course a performance by this 'cun' violinist together with a percussionist. They were like... really really took my breath away. She is so good. He is so good. What a combination! She played some numbers from Vanessa Mae, Bonds... and etc. Even the kids were enthralled.
We have MJ impersonator that night too. He did the moonwalk, the crotch grabbing dance and all miming to MJ's tune.
Other than live music performances, there were yummy food served all night long too. The kids from Kitarsh home were enjoying so much. At least I know I did. I loved the 'char bee hoon', the curry chicken, the spring rolls and etc.

There are still lots of photos but I am too lazy to load them here. Will share it over in FB instead. Overall it was a great night with great experience for me. I had fun, the kids have fun, the patrons had fun, so does the Waikikians.

Kudos to the Waikikians for making such a tribute a success! Keep up the good work.

1 comment:

mun said...

You managed to capture the essence of the event in your photos. Truly an event photographer in the making! :)