WELCOME to my blog.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Alma Mater - The Canossian Convent

This entry is specially for all my schoolmates, Kluang's readers and everybody who attended this school of mine.
***
When I was back in Kluang sometime ago, I managed to squeeze out some time to visit a place which I've spent a big part of me there, which had moulded me to who I am today; not to say I am super successful or what la... but at least I turned out to be a good person. Really one... *wink wink*... I am a good person. This special place is none other that my alma mater, the Canossian Convent.
***
The sight that greeted me were rather depressing. Not that it was in a dipilated state but it no longer look like how it used to be or how I have left it 13 years ago... tsk... terbocor my age pulak... now you know how young I am.... hehehe... Anyway, when I was still studying there those days, the school was run by nuns. I still remember some of their names. Sister Cecelia, Sister Bathilda, Sister Monica, Sister Mary Lau, our primary school headmistress and Sister Mary Teh, our secondary school headmistress. During those time, our main spoken language was always English. And I still remember how proud Sister Mary were whenever she touched on the subject of cleanliness and that we, the Canossian Convent, have the cleanest toilet compared to all the other che kai schools... Lols
This tree was already there on the first day I stepped foot into the school and that was in 1982 when I was first enrolled into the 'baby class' of its' kindergarten. This is also the tree where PP would sit under in her pretty dress while waiting for me to finish my POL classes on a Saturday morning during my primary days. I have flashes of images stored in my brain that shows me sitting underneath it with a bunch of my classmates while eating hotdogs out of my 'batman' lunch box. I also remember playing skipping ropes, collecting 'biji saga' (red indian seeds) that's scattered all over beneath it. Of course, those days, it was sparkling clean and no rubbish dump there. I don't understand why did they build a rubbish dump right there of all places... sad la...

Right opposite that big umbrella tree is this 'yellow flower' tree. I still remember how the roots of the tree would grow like a stairs for us to walk up the little slope by it's side. I used to play 'house' with my classmates here while waiting for our buses when I was in primary school. Another thing about this tree is, whenever it is in blooming season, the whole floor beneath it will be carpeted with a thick layer of yellow flowers. Or whenever the wind blows, the yellow flower will be flying all over. Just like the movie 'para-para sakura'. The only difference is, it is para-para yellow flower...lols. Nevertheless, it is a sight to behold. It is beneath this tree that I would always find my mom waiting to collect me after school. She used to drive a dark green Fiat. By time school ended, her car would usually be covered in a layer of yellow flowers. Dark green + yellow, pretty sight.

This is the official way into our school. Yes, thru the canteen. My alma mater. SMCC. The school I attended. We always joked about it as Sekolah Mong Cha Cha... or maybe, just me... hehehe... Anyway, it used to be known as Sekolah Menengah Canossian Convent when it was still a semi government school. Now, it is known as Sekolah Kebangsaan Canossian Convent. Fully government. Meaning, no more nuns, no more morning prayers, no more bible stories, no more using English as the main language in school.

On the right, is our canteen. During my time, we have mee kari & mee sup, RM0.50 for big bowl (4 mouthful) and RM0.30 for small bowl (2 mouthful). Hmm.. what else we have? Oh yeah, RM0.20 to add fishcake. We also have icy cold guavas, curry puff, sardin puff and etc... I still remember how the uncle will crooned to the tune of Gladys Knight's whenever I am there for some cool orange cordial.... Uncle Jack I think his name was.
And on the right used to be the only path 'up' to our schools - kindergarten, primary & secondary. When we were in primary school, we used to beratur (line up) here before heading upwards to the music hall then to the respective classrooms. There also used to be a small bell tower at the foot of the stairs. Only the 'pengawas' (prefect) have the authority to rings it. As you can see, it is gone now too... sad hor..
The white building you see in this photo on top of the hill used to be our primary school block. It was at this end of the block that we always brushed our teeth after recess during the 'Gigi Bersih Campaign'. The latest news I heard of is, it has long been converted to some kind of Catholic Retreat runs by nuns. I guess that explained the missing roof on this stairway. They have changed the walkway to somewhere else ever since.
This is part of the new covered walkway built, connecting the canteen to the main school buildings, the multi purpose hall and the sports field.

This part of the walkway & the astaka is new too. Check out the size of our field which used to have a 400m track and a handball field smacked right in the middle. Quite big right.. compared to most schools here in KL.

On this field, we used to have a long jump sand dunes. On this field we used to play netball. Also on this field we used to play 'rounders' (something like baseball). Inside this multi purpose hall we have 4 badminton courts which is rented out to the general public to play on weekends. It is in this hall we celebrated Teacher's Day and don't know what day what day somemore... It is also in this hall I got both my wrists blue blacks from volleyball. I am always unlucky to get picked by sports club to play due to my height eventhough I am not very atheletic. I remember I was picked by badminton club, volleyball club and don't know what other clubs. Believe it or not, I was even voted as the president of our swimming club even though I don't swim then. Crazy...

This used to be our science lab. I don't remember seeing this 'cogankata' before. It must be new too since it is in Malay.

As the gate into the school compound is lock, I only managed to take these few photos to share. This building shown here used to be the building for secondary 1, 2 & 3. It has now been housed by the primary school. The secondary schools have since be shifted to the blocks behind this one.
This is the saddest part of all. Can you see the retaining wall at the far end? It wasnt there during our time. It used to have a pathway lined by beautiful pine trees connecting our secondary building to the red hall and then the primary buildings. Of all the halls we had, I love the Red Hall most. It is an open hall with red flooring and cement benches by its sides where we can lepak after school doing our homeworks while enjoying the breeze. It is always sparkling clean where we can lay back on the floor. Sadly, it has now been cordoned off as part of the Catholic Retreat thingy.

Before leaving the school ground, I managed to sneak up to the so called 'Catholic Retreat' to take a peek of what happened to my childhood land.
This is the slope in the kindergarten playground where I used to roll down with my kindy friends. It was good olde days of being a child. Carefree. No stress, no problems, no worries. How wonderful.This is where I used to attend kindergarten. My entire early education was in Convent. Starting from kindergarten all the way to Form 5. Age of 5 ~ 17. 12 years altogether. I've always love my school. I cant exactly tell what I love about it, all I know is, it is different from the others.

This statue of St Magdalene, or was it Mother Mary, used to be surrounded by big beautiful pine trees, home to many squirrels. This is also where we would have our class photo taken year after year. It is a sad sight now. The first floor on the foyer at the back of the statue used to be a little chapel where we would go to say our prayers whenever exams is around the corner :p. I heard they have remained it as it is.


Lastly, I came across this first stone that was laid by His Excellency when they were building this school. I don't remember seeing this one before. It doesnt look new. I am sure it is not a new addition. It stated that it was laid on the 3rd January 1950. Wah... 59 years already wor... but then again, it is acceptable la... cause this school has also been my mom's alma mater.
***
Other than all these fond memories, the other thing that I can remember the most is the slogan of our school and that is... "Caring & Sharing Is Our Way Of Life". It is in this school that I was taught not only to have compassion for others but many other pricelesss life's values as well.
***
Thank you my dear school for who I am today.


10 comments:

Unknown said...

sob! sob! very touching. it's Mary Magdalene. the mysterious figure behind the Da Vincci Code movie. She is not Mother Mary oso.

Good photos and illustration!!!

Redbabe said...

Thanks for your comment. Off handly, we always thought she is Mother Mary. Then I remembered those days how our Sisters always stressed about St Magdalene. After so many years, I also dunno which is which already. lols..

"ME N MY MILLION DOLLAR" said...

It's indeed touching.....is my school too, l was enrolled in 1962, love the old 'cannosian convent'. l was disapointed and sad too, nothing like the good old days/

"ME N MY MILLION DOLLAR" said...

oh yes those 2 huge tree was there too way back in 1962 when l was in std 1.

Redbabe said...

wah lau ...... already there since 1962??? Easily 100 years old already hor?

~ RaChel Lim ~ said...

You had a nice school dear..sweet, warm & peaceful atmosphere.. I wonder why you are well behaved & better person now.. Kaka!

Redbabe said...

well behaved.. hehehe.... there is a monster beneath that placid surface.

Ellone said...

I miss the red bean tree also !! hahahaha..like this post so much~ brings back good old memories...=)

suzhen said...

Canossian Convent was my alma mater too...I was thinking of sister Mary Tey and thought...ever since leaving the school, I haven't met a leadership figure as strong as she was. In a way, I do miss the school

Redbabe said...

Suzhen, i totally agree with you. which year you from?