WELCOME to my blog.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sunshine is feeling not too good. :(

Sunshine, my miniature schnauzer, is currently being put on a drip at the vet.   She has been diagnosed with pyometra.  An infection of the uterus.  She is scheduled to be operated this afternoon and I pray that she survived it.  The vet said chances of survival is 50:50.  :(  Doesn't sound good at all.

I never knew about pyometra and didn't know what symptoms to look out for.  Noticed she wasn't quite her glutton self when we feed her over the weekend.  By Monday evening, noticed her lethargicness and quickly sent her to the vet yesterday.  

The vet examine her, took some blood sample and  I was told that it doesn't look good and told me to observe her for a day while he administer her with some antibiotics.  They wanted to keep her for observation but I prefer to have her home.

Back at home, I did some research over the internet and that's when I learned about Pyometra.  I was shocked and worried sick ever since.  She had all the symptoms:-

Bloated abdomen - she always have fat tummy and we didnt pay much attention to it.
No appetite - we thought she was afraid of Rumba.  Rumba has recently develop this bad habit of intimidating Sunshine at meal time.
Look lethargic/depressed

To read more about it, check out this site here.

The vet asked since when her stomach begin to bloat?  And I told him her stomach has been like that for as long as I can remember.  She has always been fat and have a big tummy.  Just that now is a little bigger.  I felt so bad.  I did noticed the last time I bathed her.  But she was all healthy and active. 

Then the vet asked if she has pooped.  I told him I am not too sure.  At that very moment, he must have thought I am the world most worst person.  The thing is, both Rumba and Sunshine shared the same toilet.  I wouldn't know who pooped and who didn't.  

Sunshine's condition didn't change much throughout the night.  I was so worried that she couldn't pull it thru the night but she did.  Quickly packed her up and sent her to the vet first thing this morning.  My heart ache seeing her like this.  I should have learn more about the consequences of not spaying them.  All I know was that, chances for un-spayed female dog to develop some kind of infection when they grow older are higher.  That's about it.  I didn't know the uterus will swelled and filled with pus and her stomach would be bloated.  And that she would actually die!  

I hope she would made it.



*********************
Latest update:
Sunshine was operated at noon and woke about couple of hours later.  Groggy.  The husband and I visited her just now and she seems ok but weak.  Still able to stood up and whine a little.  A good sign I hope.    Even though the infected uterus had been removed, the virus might have spread out.  Doc says have to keep her for observation for couple of days more.  He actually showed us a photo taken of the removed part.  The uterus had swelled so big. More than 10x it's original size.  Sigh...  He said luckily I brought her in yesterday.  Just in time.

10 comments:

Alina Grace said...

She will be fine....positive thoughts and faith!

Big Cow said...

i hope she'll get well soon :(

Redbabe said...

thanks gals!

mun said...

Well wishes for Sunshine. May she have a full and smooth recovery.

Cammie said...

hope your lil buddy recover soon!

Terri Chai said...

She will be alright.... she's a toughie...

Redbabe said...

Yeah, she will be alright ;)

Steven Annie said...

Dont worry everything will turn out fine. Good luck wishes for sunshine!

What I Did Today said...

Oh, POOR puppy! I hope Sunshine is back to feeling her normal, happy self soon!

Redbabe said...

Steven Annie & WIDT: Thanks guys for the well wishes. She is back home already moments ago and behaving like her normal self! :) What a relieve!