WELCOME to my blog.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Day 3 : Beijing (Tian An Men Square, Forbidden City)

My boss just came back from a 2 weeks holiday in Turkey and got me a nice blue pashmina.  These days, I find myself liking blue more and more.  But then again, I never really have a favourite colour to begin with.  For those of you out there who follow my blog later, the reason for 'Redbabe' was not because I like red.  It was a nick I used to use in a car forum to represent my red car.  Don't worry, even if I've changed my car to blue, I've no intention of changing my nick to 'Bluebabe' cause some might accidentally pronounced it as 'Blueblack'.  :p
In the morning of Day 3 in Beijing, we visited the famous landmarks of Beijing - The Tian An Men Square and the Forbidden City.  Part of the reason we had such a great time in Beijing was because our Beijing's tourguide, a young lad of 20 something, was a very experience guide.  He reshuffled our original itinerary and because of that, we managed to avoid bad traffics and long queues too (thus saving time plus able to explore at our own pace).
The guide told us that the crowd we saw on that day was just 1-3% of the crowd on a normal day.  He also added that the queue getting into the Forbidden City would zigzagged all the way to the back of Tian An Men Square.  Taking in the vast open space of the square, I thought the guide must have over exaggerated to prevent us from wondering off on our own (which is a specialty of the husband and I). :p  Seriously, how can there be so many people to fill this vast open space (440,000 m² - 880m by 500m)?   Bluffer..!  Not only did we have enough space to jump, we can run around madly or even roll ourselves around crazy. Lols... But, lo and behold, this was what we saw the next morning when we passed by the same place. 
Mad crazy right?  And majority of them are local Chinese!  One thing I learned in China is,  never ever underestimate the power of their populations.  Their populations as of July 2010 is  1,338,612,968 (it took me awhile to figure how much that is :p).  Imagine this, if every person in the 1% of their total populations donates just a dollar to me, I can be a millionaire easily (and not just millionhair!).  Mind blowing right?  So on one of the night when we were back in the hotel, I told the husband this... "Hmmm...I  think I would buy a block of airspace on their national tv, tell some cock and bull story or make some funky performances or even making a fool out of myself (ala William Hung on American Idol) and then convince everybody to donate $1 to me!"... It might just work!  Lols...

Fast fact:
Population of China : 1,338,612,968 (9.6 million km2)
Population of USA : 307,212,123 (9.83 million km2)
Population of Malaysia : 25,715,819 (329,847 km2)

Also in this very square, 400-800 protestors was killed in 4th June 1989 (read a long time ago somewhere else and believe this number has been reduced very much).  
Me, all puffed up, outside Tian An Men Gate, getting into the Forbidden City, with Chairman Mao kickass huge portrait looking over my back.  I've read some books about Mao's Cultural Revolution and  the damages it has cost to the lives of its' people and economy thru the revolution.  What I don't understand is, why are the Chinese still idolizes him?  Seriously, you see his face everywhere.  Maybe I should dig more reading materials about him. 
Rubbing the many golden knobs as we passing thru the gate.  Heard a long time ago, not sure from where though, such gesture brings good luck!  From the picture, you can tell I am not pulling your legs. :)  The gold layer had long been rubbed off by many others who believed the same thing I did!
From here onwards, my hair practically look like this throughout.  I.e., like a mad woman.  Center parting all the way.  Lols... a result from the strong wind.  
The Forbidden City was actually the main reason the husband and I decided to visit Beijing in the first place.  From a program we watched over in National Geography about 2 years ago, we learned that there was project to restore the palace to its' pre-1912 state and that it will be opened to the public in 2010.  And here we are!
KungFu Panda decided to visit too! :p
Spotted some white birds.  They look shimmering white as the flew, against the bright sun and blue sky.  I thought it was such a pretty sight!
Only 30% of the palace was opened to the public.  The rest are still closed for restoration works.  We were only able to glimpse the inside from the doorway.  Can't go in.  I tell you, in China, they really push and shove *sigh*.  No such thing as 'excuse me', 'after you', 'you first'... I think this 'attitude' have something to do with the over population.  If they don't push or shove, they will never get their chance.  Over time, it became a normal habit.  Really, even in toilets.  They don't queue.  They will just barged in and march straight passed the queue and head straight into the next empty cubicle.  Unbelievable.  At one point, I got so mad that I actually pulled one of them back and screamed down their face that the queue start at the back. :p  Yes, I screamed.  I've tried 'diplomatic' and it ended up as if I am talking to myself.  

Talking about toilet experiences in China, it will never end.  Not only that they don't like to lock the door while doing their 'business' (big or small), most of them don't even bother to close it.  :p  Imagine the sights that greets me when I went to the toilet for the first time in Beijing.  Lols... smooth white butts all over.   Glaring.  Very glaring.  Lols... Smooth white butts are still acceptable.  Imagine those squatting down, facing out.  :p  Hairy.  Errmm... Hahahaha...  There I was, embarrased and kept apologizing for barging into unlock but occupied cubicles while looking for an empty one while the occupant inside seems totally indifference to the intrusion... lols.  After this short toilet experience in China, I began to appreciate our toilets here in Malaysia more.  All this while, I thought we have the dirtiest toilets in the whole wide world.  And now, that title shall go to China.  I consider myself to be pretty immuned to dirty toilets but those in China actually made me gag.  Eww....
Anyway, enough about toilets.  Back to the Forbidden City.  Despite of only 30% of it are opened to the public, the few hours we had was not enough to cover it all.  We hope to be back another time and spend a whole week exploring it's ground and absorbing it's grandeur.
Check out the shimmering golden roof.  What a sight...  and the weather was really nice too.  Though sunny, it was windy and super cold thus making it rather nice walking about the palace ground exploring.
From the program we watched, we also learned that every broken pieces was replaced using materials made with the exact methods used hundreds of years ago.  Paintings on wall too was painted using the exact same strokes.  Stolen artefacts was acquired thru auctions all over the world.  The picture above shown the black floor tile (which is also known as the 'black gold') in one of the hall.  It take years to produce 1 piece of this tiles and it stay shiny forever.   
One of the many pathway connecting to other part of the castle.  I think arr... the emperor himself might not even have explore every nooks and corners of his own palace.  Seriously, life in the imperial palace can be pretty depressing.  With thousands of concubines constantly scheming against each other.  They have to always be on guard.  And despite of all that, most never even get a chance to catch a glimpse of the emperor.
Ancient tree within the palace ground.  Love the lines and ridges on this tree.  I think this tree could easily be hundreds of years old.
Spotted this uncle selling hot maize by the street as we got out of the palace and walking towards our awaiting bus.  In fact, there were lots of people selling similar looking maize.  Both at the entrance and at the exit.  I did not buy.  With all those things we read over on the internet, I really don't trust them.  For all you know, it might actually be god knows what that look like maize.  Errm, no thank you.
That afternoon, we went on a trishaw ride around the older part of Beijing too.  It was nice.  Circling around the old neighbourhood seeing the lifestyles of the locals. 
Thru alleyways.
We get to see the old Beijing-nese going about their daily chores.  Having a meal at the five foot way or just catching up on the latest neighourhood gossips.  The rides lasted for about 20 minutes.  The trishaw was nice.  Very authentic looking.  I like.  
Unlike those we have here in Malacca, most of the time it is very difficult to tell if they are a trishaw or a florist on wheels.  Picture above googled from the net.
Spotted this man here just doze off like that.  In front of a shop, on an uncomfortable chair, under the glaring sun!  He really does look like in deep slumber!
Took photo of this couple from the bus as they were crossing the road.  I thought they look so picture perfect.  The bicycle, the zebra crossing, the red coat, the white boots, arm around her man's waist.  Somewhat romantic.
Somehow, the young chap of a tourguide of ours, insisted to take us for a ride on their subway.  He said we should cramp in as much experiences as possible while we are there.  Cute fella.  So off we went, to the subway for a ride to the next station where our bus will be waiting.  Lols...  One thing I noted is, the ride on a subway in Beijing is super cheap!  It cost only 2yuan (RM1 or US$0.33) per ride to anywhere you wanna go.  Amazingly cheap. 
When we got out at the next station, as we walked towards the bus again, took this picture.  A long train of kite got stuck on one of those gingko trees (yeah.. the yellow trees are gingko trees) and this has so far been one of my favourite photo taken on the trip.
This too my favourite.  Shot by the husband.  It brings about the feeling of autumn with that thick piles of fallen leafs by the road.  For a moment I felt like kicking them up in the air and hear that whish... whish... sound it will make...lols.. Overdosed of coldness.
And next on the list was a visit to a tea house.  A China trip will not be complete without visiting one of this.  :p  The one we visited is called 'Tea Professor', a famous brand in China apparently. Check out the 4 green colour beams protruding right above the door frame, below the signboard.   We learned from the trishaw puller earlier that it actually represent the status of a family.  Those houses with 4 beams means they used to have somebody in the family who served the emperor.  A high ranking officer.  Low ranking officers have 2 beams.  The emperor and his family/relatives have 8 or 12 beams if not mistaken.

A long time ago, marriages only take place between families with same number of beams.   Otherwise, it will be deemed as not of the same status thus complications would set in. 
In the tea house, we sampled lots of tea.  As I am writing, I suddenly remembered the little can of tea I bought.  Totally forgotten about it. :p  Shall have some this evening.  Anyway, the prices of a certain grade of tea can get ridiculously high.  Goodness me.  No, I didnt buy any of those expensive ones.  I am not even a tea coinoisseur to begin with.  No point spending on something that I do not know how to appreciate.  Might as well spend it on a new Canon 7D. :p  Photo above was actually block of tea leafs that has been pressed into words.  I thought it look pretty cool.
The famous birdness we saw during Olympic 2008.  What an architecture!  It looks even nicer at night with all those lightings when we visited on 5th day I think.  But the photos turned out pretty crappy though.
That evening, we went for another stage show.  It was so awesome.  I tell you, there is practically nothing the Chinese can't do.  Picture above was shot using my 55-250mm lens.  Got the expression of the performers so vivid!  This is my favourite pic too. :)
At one part of the show, the dancers actually have real white peacock on their head as the dance.  Seriously.  Very much alive peacocks!
And this is why I said earlier, there is practically nothing the Chinese can't do.  At one part of the show, towards the end, the stage suddenly transformed into a waterfall.  Not only on the stage, but on both left & right of the hall too.  Full fledge water fall.  Amazing not?  

So, next time, if you are buying something that's too good to be true, just ask, "from China?"... :p  They simply can do anything!  At cheaper price too!

4 comments:

mun said...

Interesting day 3! Was it a public toilet that you went to?

Redbabe said...

Yep... public toilets. *Puke*

Alina Grace said...

Ooo...looks like a GREAT holiday! But most likely I wouldn't go during such a cold period and freeze my bum-bum off...hahahahah

Redbabe said...

lols... smart! very smart!