WELCOME to my blog.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Tribute To My 'Hairstylist' Chef

I am glad we kept in touch and met up pretty regularly throughout our 18 years of friendship despite of him based all the way down South (Spore); at one time far East (Philippines) and at another time up North (Cambodia). 

Now that it already happened, I understood why I kept having the urge to call him for the past few months.  Just to chat, just to ask how was he coping at his new job at the Wavehouse Spore.  And I am glad I did just that.  I picked up my phone, dialed his number and we catched up a little.

I am glad for the many little times we hang out together whenever we are both coincidentally (or sometimes not so coincidentally) back in Kluang.  Or the many times he took the effort and visited me and some others who he cares here in KL. Or me in Spore.

I am glad for the many happy memories.  Many from a long time ago and many from not too long time ago too.

* The one time he swerved his car onto the grass pavement to avoid a head on collision which he thought was a bike cause the car only have one headlamp on.  No, I was not in his car.  I was in another friend's car and we were speeding side by side. I know it was dangerous but we never failed to joke about it after that.  We were very young then afterall.

* The gambling during CNY where he will forked out the capital and I'll lose them all.  :p  I am a bad gambler and he was worst, a bad investor.

* His funky flamboyant fashion sense.  Super metrosexual.  Striking orange cargo pants like those wore only by firemen, baggy alibaba kind of pants, his favourite green cap (a gift from dont know which girlfriend), the same design white framed sunglasses which he loved so very much and which he repeatedly buy whenever the one he own went 'up-lorry'.

* 'Up-Lorry'.  His favourite phrase to describe something that had lived it's life, served it's purpose and time to discard.  We were walking along Petaling Street during one of his trip here and he spotted a sunglasses that is identical to the one he own.  Bought it, turned around and told me... "... this on can go 'up-lorry' d..." ...lols...

* That one time we dragged him all the way up to Genting Highlands after a party at home.  He was a pretty hardcore body builder then and was quite beefed up at that time.  Let's just say his one arm was equivalent to two and a half of mine.  He insisted that he dont need a sweater.  It was hillarious seeing him, acting all macho trying not to turn into an ice popsicle.

* Or another time, he dragged me along to this gay bar called Liquid to meet a lesbian friend of his.  Throughout the night, I was like O.O this.  Never in my life seen so many open gays & lesbians in one sitting.  And him, stucked to me like some magnet like that throughout the night to keep his virginity intact.  i.e., from the rear.

* How I always introduced him as my 'hairstylist' friend instead of as a chef.  :p  People usually believes and asked for hairstyling advises.

* On another occasion that he was at my place in KL, Harrison & I was invited to a pot luck barbeque party and we dragged him along.  As we were at the supermarket getting sausages which I was supposed to bring for the party, he asked "Is that all you buying?!?".  I went like.. "Uh huh... sausages mah....what else?".  He took over in the end and our sausages were like the prettiest work of art.  They were all sliced and skewered together with some colourful capsicums kebab style, and laid on a bed of fresh alfafas!  It was the most talkabout dish for the party.  Lols..

* Or that one CNY, having nothing else better to do, we headed down to our Kluang funfair together with our other friend Terence to kill time and I dragged him onto one of those childish rides which almost made him sick.  I laughed so hard after that.

* When he introduced me as 'Ah Swee' to his mom... lols... that was hillarious.

* Or on that one Christmas in KL, we chilled out together enjoying Il Divo's cd (his fav.) playing in the background and the flickering lights from the Christmas tree I put up, chit chatted till wee hours of the morning catching up on everything - his health condition, mine and on people we love and cared, friends and so forth...

* And of course the most recent ones when I visited Singapore last year.  We were at Clark Quay together with his Shrinne (his finally found love).  When we arrived at this concourse area that has a fountain that shoots all over from the floor, he told me with utmost seriousness... "Hey... you see that 'Clinic' bar over there across the fountain?  If you can run thru the fountain without getting wet, they will give you a free drink.".  Of course I was not that stupid to charge towards the fountain but I was silly enough to almost believe him.  I said 'almost' and he had a field day laughing about it after that...

All in all, there are so much that I am so glad for and so much that I am so thankful for.  Like I always believe, "It's not the end, but a beginning.  Never ever gone, but moved on.". 
The end of another important character in my book of life. 


4 comments:

Alina Grace said...

He sounds like a damn fun guy!!!

Redbabe said...

:) super humble and down to earth too.

Anonymous said...

i'm attending - on my husband's behalf - his memorial service this evening. his dad's a friend of my husband

Redbabe said...

:)