WELCOME to my blog.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

My Wish For My Homeland

For this 53rd National Day of my dear country Malaysia, I wish for us to have an open mind and eliminate racism.  To promote equal opportunity and one-ness.  Promote "1Malaysia" wholeheartedly, truly and not just an election strategy.  All leaders, be it MIC, MCA or UMNO, to come together, work together, towards the betterment of the nation.  Not races.

I remembered when I was a child, back home in Kluang, we are able to receive Singapore's channels broadcasts.  When nearing their National Day every July, I felt almost like a Singaporean immediately!  Patriotic songs are being repeated at almost every interval.  Till this day, I still can remember them... Why do I not feel the same when 1Malaysia song is being aired?

I was taught since young that sensitive issues like these should never ever be brought up to prevent another May 13.  That the Malays are the origins of this land and thus they shall enjoy the special privileges laid out.  No questions ask.  Our great grandparents understood it.  Accepted it as it is for peace and quiet.  For they have seen shedding of blood.  They have experienced the horror of war.  They have experience the horror of May 13.

I am third generation Malaysian Chinese.  Born & bred in this beloved Malaysia of mine - my parents and their's too.  The only place we called home.  The only Homeland we knew.  Even though we are still not worthy enough, we understood.  We respect.  We work hard to make a living for our family.  Work hard for that extra 7% to cost of roof over our head.  Work hard for that thousands to put our Malaysian children thru private universities when they unfortunately fall into the overflowed category.  

We are where we are today is because we worked our asses off and paid our dues.  All I am asking is just to be respected.  To be respected like any other of my Malay brothers and sisters for I am nothing but a MALAYSIAN too - not second class but first.

Selamat bercuti Merdeka!



5 comments:

Big Cow said...

if there is a 'like' button in this blog, i will click it 100000000 times :D

my sentiments exactly, except that i am not as eloquent as you! :D

Redbabe said...

Thanks Big Cow. It is just my own sentiments and wish for my country to move towards a better direction.

Alina Grace said...

Well said, my dear! Well said!

Anonymous said...

superb post/blog! i was in primary school on may 13 1969 & was ferried home in an ambulance coz my aunt was a nurse then. i, too have accepted that malays claim themselves as origins of this country & the privileges accorded to them tho' i silently DISAGREE. nonetheless i'm still grateful for the (back then)free education provided to enable me to respond to your post. i've a migrated fren who unhesitantly surrendered her citizenship & is critical of this country 4getting that without the (english) education, she might not even qualify for her current citizenship.

Redbabe said...

Alina: Thx.

Anonymous: Thanks for dropping by. I do not deny I did contemplated migration. Contemplated for many years in fact. Just dont have the heart to do it. I simply love my country too much.