WELCOME to my blog.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Travelogue: 5d/4n in Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) - Day 1

Sorry for late update.  The wifi at home has been acting up.  Anyway, here you have it....


When I first bought our AirAsia tickets, our estimated departure time was 7:15am.  1.5 weeks to our departure date, a sms from Air Asia informed us that our ETD has been changed to 9:15am instead.  How wonderful.  At least we dont need to get to be at the airport at some ungodly hours.  Our little holiday started off pretty well.
Like I stated in my previous entries, mom and I covered so much during our 5d/4n vacation in HCM.  It was a good trip.  Very good indeed despite of some hiccups.  When I first bought the tickets, I have in mind of beautiful Halong Bay.  I wanted to visit and take nice pictures of it.  From there, I wanna visit Sapa with their daily 'normal people' buses.  I wanna see their etnics in colorful costume.  I wanna take picture with them.  I wanna wear their costumes.  I wanna breathe in their fresh cool air.  I just wanna experience everything they have.  Few days later I realized all that I have been day dreaming of is in Hanoi instead.  Not HCM.  Wtf?  See la… now you should know I've also day dreamed thru my geography class all those years when Mr Foo was pointing out the maps to us.  *shaking head*

I was rather disappointed with the realization.  Images of a small city-like town filled my head. Women in aodai and their infamous con shaped straw hat cycling about, dark & scrawny men going about their businesses, lights out by 8pm, and their town are just made out of 10 -20 rows of shops.  Like that la… the Saigon in my mind.  
I was totally shocked the moment we stepped out of the airport.  We were greeted by hundreds of people standing behind the barricades, like what we can only see on TV, of crazy fans welcoming their idol.  The only difference is, we are not the idol.  Lols...  Nevertheless, we felt like a superstar!  We were too awestruck by the scene that we forgotten to whip out our camera to take a picture of it (mom, ran back later and took one).  We just stood there momentarily in shock.  Never have I seen such crowds throughout all my experiences of walking out of an airport.  Like that la…  It took us quite a while to scan thru hundreds of name signages till we found ours that says... ---> "Welcome SUPERSTARS of Malaysia".  I am just kidding...lols... seriously, standby your camera next time if you are there :)
All I can say is, I found HCM extremely interesting the moment I stepped out of the airport.  All my previous assumptions/disappointment just melted away.  I love the city.  It is everything but sleepy.  What I really cant get over with till now was their traffic.  It was nothing like Bangkok, Medan, Guangzhou, Taipei or Bali.  It is like the four mashed into one.  The numbers of motorcycles they have are a hundred times more than those in Taipei.  Their peak hours traffic are far worst than what Bangkok is experiencing.   Their traffic's laws are totally lawless as compared to Medan or Guangzhou.  Their roads branches out to much more smaller roads than Bali has.  Welcome to HCM!  I can never can thru this part of it.  Took so much photos of the crazy traffics.  Deleted more when I got back.  Still have lots.  Lols… 
Our guide is a very nice man of 59 years old.  He has been in the industry for 19 years.  Very dedicated to his job and we felt his hospitality over and over.  His wife works as a typist.  They have a son and a daughter.  He said he hope to retire in couple of years more when his daughter completes her uni.  59, still need to work so hard.  Personally, I am just not used to seeing old people having to work so hard, taking in all the shits from their unhappy tourists.  It breaks my heart.  Anyway, all the way from the airport to our hotel, he explained to us various things about Saigon.  We talked about everything.  From the people there to their famous beef noodle, Pho (pronounced as 'fu…ck….'.  He introduces himself as Mr Tai something something… Mom and I were laughing so hard at the back seat.  Everything sounds like a bad words...

We got to our hotel, Queen Ann, some 20 minutes later in District 1.  After checking in, we decided to go for lunch and Mr Tai recommended us this restaurant next to the hotel that served pho.  It was yummilicious!  Love it. :) 


The interior deco of the restaurant - strainer, ladles, woks of different sizes...


Some mint leafs, bean sprout, onion and something else to be added into the pho.  We both love our pho so much and thought it to be the best thing we ever tasted!


We had a whole day to ourselves on day 1.  After lunch, upon dropping off our luggages back in our room, armed with a simple map in the hotel brochure and some explanation from the receptionist, off we went, out to explore this fascinating city.  


Along the way, we saw many street vendors.  Still very primitive in their way of merchandising their wares.  Two baskets filled to the brim with farm products with each basket hanging on each end of a wooden stick which then be carried over the shoulders.  Just like that.  An entrepreneur already.  They set up their business anywhere that there are crowds.


A street vendor taking  nap sitting upright with a straw hat over her face.  Like that also can... wonder what is in her dream that very moment.




We got our first taste of the mad traffic that day.  We were initially following a group of European tourists with a local guide who led them to somewhere (must be some where interesting, that's why we decided to follow them).  We just tagged along and it was easy to cross the roads.  Lost them halfway thru cause we were busy snapping away without realizing their long legs have carried them too far for us to catch up.  When mom & I come to our first roundabout, it took us ages to get to the other side.  We have to go around it instead of cutting thru diagonally like how the European group did.


Pretty scary lor...  green light, they go.  Red light, also go.  It's like so many direction to look out to before crossing.  And it being a left-hand drive system make it worst.  Instead of looking right then left, we have to look left first, then only right.  It's like so confusing.  Never have I felt in my entire life that crossing a road is a great feat!  But later on, according to Roman, a French we met days later, he said these are chicken feet as compared to those in India!  Hmmm...  I wonder how would i survive that.  But despite of the mad traffic in India, I am certain I am already loving it's colours!  Hmm... must start thinking of something for India...  Lols...


After walking for about 25 minutes tackling the heavy traffic at the same time, we finally found what we've been looking for; more like I found what I was looking for cause mom confessed later that she don't know where we are going.  She just follow :p).  Anyway, we found the Ben Than Market!  They have everything there, from clothings to lacquered wares to food.  A bargain galore.  In another word, a mini Jatujak in Bangkok.


We didnt buy much stuff on day 1.  Mostly just to survey their pricing, to see how much we should roughly bargain.  We planned to return another day to buy whatever we plan to buy.  Unfortunately, we never did.  5 days also got not enough time.  For those of you who plan to visit, they closed at 6pm daily ok... ;)


It was really hot and stuffy in Ben Than Market. Lots of tiny shops squeezed together.  After scouting for about 1 hour, we decided to stop for a drink at the food section.  Our first experience on the kiddy's size table chair.  Can help grinning throughout it... :p


Their yellow noodle is really 'yellow' in colour. Extreme striking yellow.  Scary.  I think if you  watch carefully, you might see it glow in your stomach.

Out of the market, there were more street vendors.  We decided to buy some crispy wafer like biscuit from the Vietnamese girl.  The real reason was because we wanna take picture with her.  That's why.


We popped into one of those self service yogurt ice cream kiosk right opposite Ben Than Market.  It was so freaking hot and we just cant resist something cold.  

First, you pick cup size (ice cream cup,  not bra's).  Then the flavour you like and finally, the toppings & sauce.  That simple!  They charge by weights.  VND22,000 per 500gm if I remembered correctly.  Went to too many.  Might have got the numbers all mixed up.


Taadaa...!  Then end product.  Oh, btw, the piece of crisp is not from the ice cream parlour ok... It was from the street vendor outside which we bought earlier.  We just added it in ourselves.  It tasted alright.








By the way, Mr Tai told us on way back to the hotel from the airport that to cross a busy road, we have to raise our hand high, then only we cross.  Another few useful advise from yours truly after being in Saigon for 5d/4n will be:

1) to look straight ahead instead of keep looking left & right 
2) walk in a steady rhythm.  Meaning, don't run.  The bikes will be able to estimate your path and avoid accordingly.

Oh, dont bother if they honked.  Cause they have a habit of horning every 5-10 seconds.  Bike or bus drivers alike.

Mom was very relieved having crossed to the opposite site of the super busy road in one piece. :p

We saw some workers taking five from work playing a game of chinese chess by the five foot way squatting.  Interesting.  

Beautiful tall trees lined the street where our hotel is.  Easily 4-5 storeys high.
In fact, the landscape of Saigon is filled with lots of such trees.  They are really very pretty and shady.  Was informed later by our guide that these trees are easily more than a 100 years old. Wow....  I wish we have trees like that here.  It will certainly cool and beautified city instantly.

Another street vendor.  An old man with his ice cream cart...

Back at the hotel finally.  We chilled out a little at the lobby.  Please meet the successor of Queen Ann's Hotel, Queen Dee.  :p  Mom play with the tiara's she bought for a friend's kid's princess theme birthday party.



When fully rested, we decided to try the massage at the hotel.  It was so hillarious throughout.  We laughed and laughed.  Basically we just felt the whole experience rather comical.  Nothing compared to what we used to.

1) instead of taking off our clothes safe the underwear, we were given a set of baggy tshirt and baggy short to change into.  We look so comically awful.
2) instead of lying on a massage bed, we sat on a reclining chair.


Seriously, I would say, this is the worst massage I've ever felt in my entire life.  Really really.  The best would the ones we went to in Kota Kinabalu.  Maybe this is just one bad apple.  I don't know.  We were too busy exploring the city rather than the massage parlours. :p







Oh, also, they indicate the minimum tipping amount ok, not on your free will... I dont know, but I am certainly not used to being told how much I should be tipping by the person I am tipping.

After the 'fantastic' massage, we head out searching for food.  We stopped at the first stall we came upon along the street outside out hotel.  We just simply pointed out the stuff we want and proceeded to the kiddy table and chairs laid out on the pavement.  We still cant get over it.  Still grinning sillily.
Can you spot mom behind the pillar?  Pretty cute way of dining right?  Lols.  


I ordered macaroni.  I am still not entirely sure what they sell but whatever we ordered comes with some beef ball slices, beef slices and blood jelly (known in Vietnamese as 'huet') and tasted heavenly!  We even ordered a second serving of just 'huet'!  We had difficult telling her exactly what we wanted.  In the end, she just took out her whole bag and I just pointed it out.  :p  The universal language of hand sign.  Lols....


After the nice & cute dinner, we find our way back to Ben Than market.  Though it closed at 6pm, they will open outside the market in the evening.  Some sort of night market like that.






Walked past a community center where we see people doing the ballroom dances.  So sweet!



Spotted some lacquered wares that I fancy, and tried to work out an unreasonable price to bargain with their unreasonably sky rocketted prices.  


After bargaining for ages,  I finally got them for the price I am willing to pay.  When I said 'ages', I strictly do mean 'ages'.  Somehow the bargaining process here in Saigon takes much much longer time than anywhere else I've been.  It can get pretty tiring after some time.  If it not because of something I really like, I wouldn't be bothered with it.


From there, with my heavy package, we decided to head back to the hotel.  All I can say is, it was a really really long walk.  On day 2, it was a really long walk.  On day 3, a long walk.  On day 4, it was just a walk.  We found short cuts. :p ;)

4 comments:

Alina Grace said...

Reading your blog reminds me of my wonderful trip with Caitlin and hubby to Saigon last December....

mun said...

What did you buy after bargaining? Both of you are so adventurous to wander around HCM City on your own.

sdovelly said...

Hey i can't stop laughing when i read about the dinner part...LOL very cute!!! and hey you just can't conclude the day 2, 3 and 4 with walk and long walk and long, long walk, we want moreeeee!!!

Redbabe said...

Alina... nice right?

Mun... you'll see it in next entry. ;)

Sdovelly.. there are more, i so cheong hei... sure wont stop so soon one...lols... just need to find time to update... hahaha...