WELCOME to my blog.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Gong Hee Fatt Choy


When I was little, Chinese New Year seems to be such a huge fanfare. We will slowly get ready months before the big day. I still remember how I would everyday, pull out the box under my granny’s bed and marvel at the new clothes she bought for me (yeah, that’s where she kept my new clothing). And I would always wish how wonderful it would be if CNY will be tomorrow so that I get to wear all those pretty clothes and I would start counting down.

Every year, without fail, my granny would make us new pillows and bolsters replacing the old and stinky ones. I would help to stuff the pillows with new cotton while my granny will stitched it up. She would also sew us new bed sheets too with her antique manual sewing machine. No matter how big or tall I grown, I would always request for a small mini pillow. I just wanted one.

There were once, we even went to the extend of making our own artificial cherry blossom tree. My granny would go into this little jungle nearby our house and find suitable dried branches for our project. She will usually emerged with beautiful branches plus mosquitoes bites. It’s hilarious. We will then stick the plastic flowers & cottons on to the branches to make it look realistic.

Then come the Spring Cleaning. Not that we only clean our house once a year, just that for CNY, it will be a major cleaning. All furniture will be moved aside; all floors will be washed down with soap & water, mopped & dried. Cushions, carpets and etc, will be ‘sun’ at the porch and whacked off the dust before bringing in. It is really a major cleaning. A sight which is hardly seen these days.

All I know is, Chinese New Year were such a big thing then. Plenty of preparation. New clothes, new shoes, new pillows, new bed sheets, sparkling clean house, and tons of yummy goodies. We would also decorate our house with lots of CNY symbols such as the ‘Fook’ sign, or ‘Fatt’. And when the date come closer, we will be looking forward for the return of our uncles & aunties, the reunion dinners, the fire crackers and most importantly, how much we make that year from our Angpows! Those were the days.

Nowadays arr, I don’t even know where the jungles are let alone finding branches to make Cherry Blossom tree. Furthermore, Pussy Willows are being sold everywhere. With a snap of the finger, we can get a beautiful bunch for just RM25. Easy! As for new pillows & bed sheets, it is not necessary as we get new ones all the time. If the old ones really need to be replaced, we can conveniently get it from Aussino. No need to find cotton to stuff your own pillow. So mah fan. Spring Cleaning on the other hand are also made easy. It is just a shout away… ‘Minah, sudah mau tahun baru cina arr…. Kasi rumah bersih-bersih arr…’ Hahahaha….And angpow, please dont even go into that.... :p

Anyway, would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a

Happy & Prosperous Chinese New Year

and most importantly, good health ya…!

2 comments:

i said...

Happy Chinese New Year!

Redbabe said...

Same same ya...:) gong xi gong xi!