WELCOME to my blog.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Futsal Outing with Children from 'Our Family Home' (Kajang)

Completed another CSR project organized for our division yesterday.  It was a fun-filled morning with lots of laughters (and sweat!).   A futsal outing for a group of children from 'Our Family Home' Kajang.
It was a CSR with a little different.  This time round, we invited clients to participate (which I believe would not only create better civic consciousness, but also a better working relationship).  And so, yesterday morning, we have a total of approximately 100 people (clients, staff volunteers + their children, children from Home) flooding out 'The Challenger Sports Center' in Taman Cuepac, Cheras. :) 
It was adrenaline filled event for me.  No, not from playing of course (though it would be a pretty cute sight running around with an in-built football in my abs...lols).  Not exactly from putting together the entire event either (not blowing my own trumpet, but I think I have a knack when it comes to organizing stuff like this), but, being informed by a sports center which I've booked one month earlier, just a day before the event, that they have messed up our bookings and that they do not have available courts for us.  I almost died!

They kept apologizing but no amount of apologies will right the situation.  I was practically screaming down the line and if I remembered correctly, the last threat before I hanged up was... "You find me another venue or 100 people will turn up at your venue and I don't give a shit..!".... The guys on our lunch table went like... O.o  I am always full of sarcasm but I never scream.  It being the first time we having lunch together doesn't help either.... They all went quiet for a while and probably worried that the baby might pop out anytime soon... hahahaha..
So, with barely 3 hours until end of work for the day, I need to source for another venue, re-coordinate the logistics for meals delivery (McD breakfast & pasta lunch), transportation, notify the 100 odds participants, brief a bunch of colleagues of their duties for the day, arrange and pick up 2 hampers which we intend to present to the home.  Somehow, we managed.  
I think the event turned out pretty awesome.  Have a bunch of colleagues helping out in all area on the day ... game master, time keeper,  referees, prizes, food and not forgetting, Financial Literacy Programme (FLP) for children under 10 years old which we run concurrently with the outing (eventhough the kids were more interested in rushing into the futsal court) ... hahahaha...
We segregated out children under 10 for FLP followed by a Futsal Fun Game.  We presented them with a 'Certificate of Attendance' for FLP and cute stationary gift sets of various cartoon characters at the end of the game.  They were so happy :) 
For those age 11 and above, together with our clients & volunteering staff, were then divided into 8 teams to form a mini futsal league.  
At the end of the game, the winning team walk away with this cute trophy which I had it made specially for this event. :)  I tell you, the kids can really play.  They are so fast.  Our staff on the other hand were like going to drop dead anytime.  We even have the game cut down to only one half in semi finals & final.  Hahahaha....So this is what happened when u work, smoke & drink. :p Ermm.. more like, so this is what happened when you work in a bank!  Lols...
Also included in the event was a birthday celebration for kids whose birthday falls in the month of April as well as staff.  I've arranged for 100 football theme cupcakes to be made by T-Cakes just for that.  Everyone was so excited when they saw how cute they were.

As for what I did to the first sports center (Sports Affairs, Taman Segar Perdana), well, I wish I could burn them down but I just can't find anyone who is willing to do the dirty job. Even the most tattoo-ed guy in my office refused to :p.  They kept calling me after my last threat of turning up irregardless.  I just kept threatening them even though I've already secured second venue.  In the end, they say it's ok for me to use their venue but I would have to give up 1 or 2 courts.  I told them to let me think about it.  Not until 8pm in the evening, when my tummy filled, mood relaxes a little, and after more than 10 worrisome phone calls from them, I told them I don't need their venue anymore. :p  Come on... I can't let them off with just mere 'sorry' and 1 phone call.  They need to be taught a lesson. hmmrrfff!

Anyway, the event wraps up on schedule.  Thanks to everyone, there were no hiccups or chaos.  Smooth sailing all the way.  Everyone went home with a big smile plastered on their faces and probably few kgs lighter too from the exercise and heat! Hehehehe....





2 comments:

mun said...

What a successful event especially the way you handled the unexpected obstacle caused by the first sports center. Well done!

Redbabe said...

Thanks mun. Back to work today n everyone is still feeling the 'high' from sat... hehehe...