WELCOME to my blog.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cameron Highlandst

Took a short breakaway last weekend (real short one, just over the weekend, 2d/1n).  Before I find any time to update, it's now weekend again.  Gosh...  at this rate, I think 50 or even 80 not gonna be too far off.  Before I know it, I'll probably be at retiring age.  Mad crazy.
The short weekend away was good.  After two weekends of staying put in town, it's time to start moving again.  Lols... Like the birdpark tickets, I bought a promotional voucher from a friend when they participated at the recent travel fair.  :)  I think it was RM175/night (approx. US$60) for one night accommodation at Strawberry Park Resort.  The recently renovated/revamped rooms were really cozy and nice.
A short info on Cameron from Wikipedia: 
The highlands got its name from William Cameron, a British surveyor who was commissioned by the then colonial government to map out the are in 1885.  It was the late Sir Hugh Low, a resident of Perak, expressed the wish of developing the flat terrain as a "sanatorium, health resort and open farmland".


The highlands is one of Malaysia's most extensive hill stations which covers an area of 712 square kilometers.  It was first developed by the British in 1920s.  The temperature seldom soars above 25deg cel during the day and during the night, it can sometimes drop to as low as 12deg cel.  It has 3 main townships - RInglet, Tanah Rata and Brinchang, which nestled at an altitude of more than 1200m.
Yeah, this is the same place I went for the treasure hunt event with a bunch of friends August last year.  At that time, we never get a chance to go sight seeing around the highlands.  Just treasure hunted from KL all the way up the hill, spent the night, and back to KL the next day.
This time round, went with the husband and he was sport enough to check out all the flower nurseries with me.  The plants were all so pretty.  I wish I could bring them all back.  Lols... 
Of course I didn't.  Seriously, how many can I buy?  Actually, it is more like, how many would survive in our non-highlands weather?  I just bought some small cute ones.  Not too many.
I've been to Cameron quite a number of times and have tasted their strawberries before but this time round, they were never quite like what I've tasted all those times.  I always remember Cameron's strawberries as tiny and super sour.  I was quite surprise when I found some huge ones at the market there.  Even more surprise when they were all juicy and yummy when I bite into them!  Nice!  
We went to quite a number of flower nurseries.  Not exactly looking for anything. Just look see look see.    Basically that's what people do when they go to Cameron highlands.  Buy flowers, plants, vegetables, eat... lols...Yeah, I ate non stop.  Now that I work, I need the energy.  So it's absolutely alright to indulge!  :p
We were recommended by Florence to visit this Time Tunnel Museum while we were there.  It was really nice.  Feels like walking down memory lane.  The husband and I was so excited when we spotted and antique/classic stuff from 'our' time.  Lols... Yeah, our time.  
Sometimes when I thought about my childhood days, it doesn't feel like so long ago.  But when we started seeing these stuff from our childhood on display here, oh boy.....!  It looks like it was from a LONG time ago!  Hahahaha... Anyway, it's worth visiting. Just RM5/entry.  
Went for and early steamboat dinner.  Couldn't resist steamboat on cool weather like that.  There were many of them.  We simply picked the shop with the most customer.  One can never go wrong that way! Right?  The extra long funnel (if that is what you call that long thing) was because this particular set is using charcoal instead of running on gas.
After dinner we took a walk to their famous weekend night market nearby.  There were more goodies there.  This man is frying sweet potato balls.  I was so tempted to get some.  Unfortunately we were simply too stuffed.  Still, we bought some other food stuff - fried crab (super yummeh), apambalik (some kind of malay flour stuff), sweet corn (must try)!
The weather was rather nice throughout our stay until it began to pour while we were there in the market.  Though there were lots of umbrella for sale, we simply refuse to get one.  No, it was not expensive.  Just about RM10 each.  And rather wait out under all those canopies with chattering teeth.  Lols... I think the feeling of not-wanting-to-own-another-umbrella were rather overwhelming.  Especially not one with loud huge strawberries print (which we will never use again)!  
Next morning, wanted to bring the husband to Boh Tea Plantation (which my friends brought me the last time) for breakfast.  We got lost for a little while and ended up having lunch instead at the same place we had dinner the previous night before heading to the plantation for tea after getting better directions from the lunch waitress.
Though the tea & dessert were horrible, the experience was good for the husband.  He loves the place.  We also get to see how tea was processed.  Picture above is a tea grinding machine which was used since the plantation was set up a long long time ago and is still being used now.
Everywhere we walked, the air was filled with aroma of tea.  Nice.  Just a pity that the tea served at it's cafe doesn't taste anything near the aroma!  Personally, I feel they should outsource their cafe to more serious cafe people who serve freshly bakes yummies like scones with fresh cream and strawberry jam, variety of pastries, cupcakes and etc instead of some soggy sandwiches, spongelike cakes, tasteless tea which they are charging RM0.50 for refill of hot water!  *shaking head*  Can see it was a half hearted effort.  
Visitors still throngs the place despite of the overly priced yucky food.  It's the environment that matters.  What a waste of superb location and beautiful set up. *Sigh* 
We head back home after that.  Though just a short getaway, it was good.  Rejuvenating enough.  The beauty of traveling not in a group.  Easy going.

3 comments:

mun said...

Nice to get to read your post! Was missing it!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

sounds like you guys have had a lot of fun!

What I Did Today said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! I know what you mean about time flying and how fun it is to be reminded of the things you loved as a child.