WELCOME to my blog.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A little sensitivity!

As nothing silly nor interesting happened to my life lately, I've nothing to blog about. I would just share some personal experience with you guys.
Couple of years ago, i went into depression while being treated for hyperthyroidism. As my hormon level was being yoyo-ing up and down, inevitably, it affected my mood & appearance. My left eye swelled and protruded like a goldfish, and my once smooth face was congested with acne. All self-esteemed evaporated into thin air.

I was so tired of meeting people then. Cause they will constantly asked why, what happened & etc. So I would have to constantly explained over & over again what is thyroid and how it cause all the problems I am facing. It would be great for them to show some understanding and keep their mouth shut after the explanation, but no, some of them would have to offer their two-cents...


"eh? sure or not? i see my friends also got thyroid. But her skin & eyes also ok wor... u sure thyroid cause your eyes/skin like that arr?"
(as though I purposely make my eye swelled or plant acne on my face)
or
"I have so & so also got thyroid. But after seeing this doc in this place, ok already wor..."
(as though that so and so doc is a GOD and my doc is a crap)
or
"eh, my friend also thyroid, but after taking this chinese herbs, immediately ok already..."
(crap)
or
"I heard ppl say eat seaweed is very good for thyroid le.."
(crap again)
or
"Eh, eat sea cucumber is very very good for thyroid also le..."
(double crap)


From all these 'two-cents', I ended up seeing a SURGEON for second opinion, who, so & so had seen and miraculously got his/her thyroid condition cured, and wasted my money & time. A surgeon? Hellooo???? The right kind of doctor to see for thyroid is an Endocrinologist.

And I also doubled up my diet with seaweeds & sea cucumber cause it is good for me, supposely. What many people don't understand is, there are many kind of thyroid conditions. All that come to their mind when they heard thyroid is 'goiter'. Goiter is just one of the kind of many thyroid conditions. For my case, what I had was hyperthyroidism, and my thyroid gland is over producing iodine in my body. So, in other words, seaweeds & sea cucumber are like poison to me.

I feel that in situation like this, the best one could do is save their two-cents to themselves if they are not capable of offering words of kindness. If they do not understand the disease/sickness, don't be a smart-ass offering fatal advises. For a person who already have to face whatever unfortunate situation they are in, is already troubled & stressful enough. To add unintelligent advises would make it worst for them. Who would want a goldfish eye or a face full of craters?? So, the least one could do is, be sensitive.

To anyone out there who is going thru any kind of unfortunate event, always stay positive and be strong. Do research and have a better understanding of your conditions. And most importantly, f**k those smart-ass' two-cents!

The end.

2 comments:

"ME N MY MILLION DOLLAR" said...

just said we see it the other way....everybody is trying to help and they care.

Redbabe said...

yeah... think so too. but some arr.... just so adamand...lols....